Introduction to GBA+
Legal counsel can help to assess legal risks associated with initiatives and develop strategies to minimize those risks. GBA+ can assist in identifying potential legal risks for all people, including those with Charter implications.
Some questions to consider are:
- Does this issue have the potential to negatively affect groups of people in different ways?
- Is one group particularly advantaged or disadvantaged?
- Are there particular legal obligations to a particular group (e.g. Indigenous people) or party that need to be taken into account?
- Is there potential for Charter or human rights challenges as a result of the initiative?
- What kinds of legal risks exist? Is there the potential for a precedent to be set or challenged? Is there ongoing litigation that relates to the issue?
- Would this serve to reinforce or to address historical inequities?