Through the Gender Results Framework, the federal government is making measurable progress towards Canada’s gender equality goals. On this page, you will find the gender equality goal for economic participation and prosperity, why this goal matters, its objectives and indicators, as well as the key Government of Canada initiatives in this area.
Equal and full participation in the economy.
Why this goal matters
Every person should have the opportunity to reach their full potential while contributing to, and benefitting from, a strong growing economy. Furthermore, advancing women’s economic participation drives economic growth, while boosting the income of Canadian families. Increased income leads to economic independence, which means greater financial security of individuals and their families, helping people exercise control over their lives.
Please note that the links will open in a new window or tab of your web browser.
Objectives and indicators
Increased labour market opportunities for women, especially women in underrepresented groups
Reduced gender wage gap
- 2.2.1 Gender gap in median hourly wages
- 2.2.2 Gender gap in average hourly wages
- 2.2.3 Gender gap in median annual employment income
- 2.2.4 Gender gap in average annual employment income
Increased full-time employment of women
Equal sharing of parenting roles and family responsibilities
- 2.4.1 Proportion of time spent on unpaid domestic and care work
- 2.4.2 Number of children in regulated child care spaces and/or early learning programs and/or benefitting from subsidies
- 2.4.3 Proportion of annual household income spent on child care, by economic family type
Better gender balance across occupations
More women in higher-quality jobs, such as permanent and well-paid jobs
Key Government of Canada initiatives
- Amendments to the Canada Labour Code – flexible work arrangements
- Canada child benefit
- Canada Pension Plan enhancement
- Caregiving benefits and leave
- Early Learning and Child Care
- Employment Insurance – Parental Sharing Benefit
- Employment Insurance – Working While on Claim
- Family and medical leave for specific grant, scholarship and fellowship holders
- Foreign Credential Recognition Program
- Indigenous Early Learning and Child Care Framework
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada’s Framework on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Pay transparency measures
- Proactive pay equity
- Sectoral Initiatives Program
- Support for Women’s Economic Security
- Visible Minority Newcomer Women Pilot
This section will be updated shortly to include Budget 2019 initiatives related to gender equality.
- Date modified: