Through the Gender Results Framework, the federal government is making measurable progress towards Canada’s gender equality goals. On this page, you will find the gender equality goal for gender equality around the world, why this goal matters, its objectives and indicators, as well as the key Government of Canada initiatives in this area.
Promoting gender equality to build a more peaceful, inclusive, rules-based and prosperous world.
Why this goal matters
Canada is committed to eliminating poverty, and building a more peaceful, inclusive and prosperous world. The Government will invest in women’s empowerment and gender equality as the best ways to achieve these objectives, grounded in the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development. Numerous studies tell us this is the right course. It has been estimated that achieving gender equality around the world could increase global GDP by $12 trillion over 10 years. And there are strong correlations between gender inequalities and extreme poverty. For these reasons and more, Canada is pursuing a feminist approach across all its international policies and programming, including diplomacy, trade, security, and development.
Please note that the links will open in a new window or tab of your web browser.
Objectives and indicators
Feminist international approach to all policies and programs, including diplomacy, trade, security and development:
- Increased and meaningful participation of women in peace and security efforts
- More women in leadership and decision-making roles, and stronger women’s rights organizations
- More women and girls have access to sexual and reproductive health services and their rights are promoted
- More of Canada’s trade agreements include gender related provisions
- More women have equitable access and control over the resources they need to build their own economic success and the economic success of their communities
- Fewer people are victims of sexual and gender-based violence and sexual exploitation, including in conflict settings and online
- More girls and women access quality education and skills training
Key Government of Canada initiatives
- Address by Minister Freeland at the Women Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
- Canada’s National Action Plan on Women, Peace and Security
- Canada’s Trade Diversification Strategy and Inclusive Approach to Trade
- Elsie Initiative on Women in Peace Operations
- Equal Rights Coalition
- Feminist International Assistance Policy
- Funding for Accelerating Climate Action: Social Equity and Empowerment of Women and Girls
- Funding for women in STEM programs through the Foundations for Innovation program
- G7 Gender Equality Council Report “Make Gender Inequality History”
- The Growth and Economic Opportunities for Women Program
- Partnership to fund gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls in developing countries
- Peace and Stabilization Operations Program
- Playbook for Gender Equality in the Digital Age
- The Progress Report on Canada's National Action Plan on Women, Peace and Security
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights
- Small and medium organizations for impact and innovation
- Strong, Secure, Engaged: Canada's Defence Policy
- Women’s Voice and Leadership Program
This section will be updated shortly to include Budget 2019 initiatives related to gender equality.
- Date modified: