Through the Gender Results Framework, the federal government is making measurable progress towards Canada’s gender equality goals. On this page, you will find the gender equality goal for leadership and democratic participation, why this goal matters, its objectives and indicators, as well as the key Government of Canada initiatives in this area.
Gender equality in leadership roles and at all levels of decision-making.
Why this goal matters
A more balanced distribution of men and women at all levels of decision-making is essential to a fair and democratic society. It also leads to better decision-making. Gender equality and diversity in positions of leadership are also associated with better management, increased availability of skilled employees, stronger employee engagement and higher productivity.
Please note that the links will open in a new window or tab of your web browser.
Objectives and indicators
More women in senior management positions, and more diversity in senior leadership positions
Increased opportunities for women to start and grow their businesses, and succeed on a global scale
More company board seats held by women, and more diversity on company boards
Greater representation of women and underrepresented groups in elected office and ministerial positions in national and sub-national governments
- 3.4.1 Proportion of seats held by women in national Parliament
- 3.4.2 Proportion of seats held by women in local governments (provincial, territorial, municipal, First Nations Band Councils)
- 3.4.3 Proportion of ministerial positions held by women in federal-provincial-territorial governments and Chiefs in First Nations communities who are women
Increased representation of women and underrepresented groups as administrators of the justice system
- 3.5.1 Proportion of federally appointed judges (federal and provincial courts) who are women
- 3.5.2 Proportion of law enforcement, security and intelligence officers who are women, by rank
Key Government of Canada initiatives
- Business Women in International Trade
- Canada Research Chairs Program’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan
- Canada-United States Council for Advancement of Women Entrepreneurs and Business Leaders
- Capacity-building for the women’s movement
- Chairs for Women in Science and Engineering Program
- Changes to the appointments process for federal judges
- Children in the House and Parental Leave for Parliamentarians
- Engaging men and boys to promote gender equality
- Gender-based Analysis Plus Forum
- A more gender-balanced cabinet
- National conversation on gender equality with young Canadians
- Open, transparent, and merit-based selection processes for Governor in Council appointments
- Partnership between the Business Development Bank of Canada and the Women’s Enterprise Organizations of Canada
- Reforms to the Canada Business Corporations Act aimed at increasing diversity on corporate boards and in senior management ranks
- Supporting the advancement of women in senior positions by publicly recognizing corporations
- Support for Women’s Empowerment
- Symposium on women and the workplace
- Women Entrepreneurship Strategy
This section will be updated shortly to include Budget 2019 initiatives related to gender equality.
- Date modified: