Through the Gender Results Framework, the federal government is making measurable progress towards Canada’s gender equality goals. On this page, you will find the gender equality goal for poverty reduction, health and well-being, why this goal matters, its objectives and indicators, as well as the key Government of Canada initiatives in this area.
Reduced poverty and improved health outcomes.
Why this goal matters
Poverty is a challenge faced by men and women alike, but its effects can be different for women and girls, who are more likely to be victims of violence, to live alone and to be affected by chronic conditions and disabilities at older ages. Ensuring all members of our society have a real and fair chance at success is part of the Government’s plan to strengthen and grow the middle class.
Please note that the links will open in a new window or tab of your web browser.
Objectives and indicators
Fewer vulnerable individuals living in poverty
Fewer women and children living in food-insecure households
Fewer vulnerable individuals lacking stable, safe and permanent housing
Child and spousal support orders enforced
More years in good health
- 5.5.1 Leading causes of death
- 5.5.2 Health-adjusted life expectancy at birth
- 5.5.3 Proportion of population that participated regularly in sport
Improved mental health
Improved access to contraception for young people and reduced adolescent birth rate
- 5.7.1 Proportion of population aged 15 to 34 that did not use contraception among sexually active population not trying to conceive
- 5.7.2 Adolescent birth rate (aged 15 to 19) per 1,000 women in that age group
Key Government of Canada initiatives
- Canada child benefit
- Canada’s response to the opioid crisis
- Canada Workers Benefit
- Caregiving benefits and leave
- Dementia Community Investment
- Ending long-term drinking water advisories on public systems on reserve
- Funding to improve the health of First Nations and Inuit, including in services that are women-specific
- Increase to the Guaranteed Income Supplement
- Institute of Gender and Health
- The National Housing Strategy, First Nations housing strategy, Métis Nation housing strategy & Inuit-Led housing plan
- Opportunity for All: Canada’s First Poverty Reduction Strategy
- Working Group on Gender Equity in Sport
This section will be updated shortly to include Budget 2019 initiatives related to gender equality.
- Date modified: