This page has been archived.
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or record-keeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Theme 3: Increasing Women's Involvement as Decision-Makers in Community-Based Organizations
To enhance the participation of women as leaders and decision-makers in community-based organizations.
- To enable women to develop the knowledge, skills and experience they require to take on greater decision-making and leadership roles in community-based organizations.
- To support mentors involved with advisory groups, community organizations and their boards, etc., to work with colleagues/decision-makers in creating work environments that are inclusive of diverse women (support the recruitment, retention and advancement of diverse women).
This 24-month project will develop innovative mentorship models and supports to increase women's involvement as leaders and decision-makers in community-based organizations. A key component will be to prepare women already in leadership positions in community-based organizations to serve as mentors to those with little or no experience of civic engagement, and wherever possible, to involve them as leaders in their own community-based organizations. Results will be shared with other organizations and target populations across Canada.
Up to $200,000 for a 24-month project.
- Plan project and adapt to target population needs.
- Conduct a gender-based analysis and needs assessment to identify barriers to women's participation in community-based organizations.
- Identify and consult potential allies or project partners.
- Develop/adaptinnovative mentorship models and supports (programs, resources, policies, models and/or strategies) to address the identified issues. For example,
- training programs to prepare women for greater decision-making and leadership roles in community-based organizations.
- supports and resources for community-based organizations to create work environments that enhance the recruitment, retention and advancement of diverse women.
- Delivery and implementation.
- Work with women to deliver resources and actions that promote greater decision-making and leadership roles in community-based organizations.
- Prepare women in leadership positions to serve as mentors to those with little or no experience in civic participation.
- Work with mentors to involve colleagues in supporting women's leadership in their own organizations.
- Pilot tools and approaches to ensure their effectiveness.
- Network and engage with allies and other organizations.
- Evaluate the project
- Share results
- Project participants can better identify and understand barriers to women's participation as leaders and decision-makers in community-based organizations.
- Mentors are working within their organizations to identify barriers to women's participation of women as leaders and decision-makers.
- Select employers/decision-makers have increased awareness of the issues and challenges related to women's participation as leaders and decision-makers.
- Project participants have demonstrated leadership and decision-making knowledge and skills.
Longer-Term Results (after project's end)
- Mentors are actively engaging colleagues to increase women's participation as leaders and decision-makers in community-based organizations.
- Select organizations have undertaken strategic actions to promote women as leaders and decision-makers.
- Project participants are integrated into decision-making bodies of community-based organizations.
Project Deliverables (after approval)
Detailed work plan and budget, list of project allies and partners, results management framework, evaluation plan.
Interim report and strategy to share knowledge.
Final report and evaluation.
- Date modified: