Status of Women Canada
Status of Women Canada works to advance equality for women by focusing its efforts in three priority areas: increasing women's economic security and prosperity; encouraging women's leadership and democratic participation; and ending gender-based violence. Status of Women Canada also plays a leadership role in the government-wide implementation of Gender-based Analysis Plus (GBA+).
On December 13, 2018, Status of Women Canada became the Department for Women and Gender Equality. Over the next while, we will be updating our website. That's why we have reorganized our homepage. Publications can now be accessed through What we are doing and Topics and Initiatives can be accessed through More Topics. Come back to visit us soon!
- The Honourable Kent Hehr, Member of Parliament for Calgary Centre, will make an important announcement in support of women’s and Indigenous organizations in Alberta
- MP Boissonnault will make an important announcement in support of women’s organizations in Edmonton and Northern Alberta.
- Persons Case Awards 2019 – Celebrating progress towards gender equality for 40 years
Services and information
Learn more about commemorative dates that highlight women’s achievements and the progress Canada has made towards advancing gender equality.
Learn what Gender-based Analysis Plus is, how it affects you and the role of the Government of Canada in implementing it.
Explore Status of Women Canada's funding opportunities, read the eligibility criteria and apply for funding through one of our two funding programs.
Learn about how It’s Time: Canada’s Strategy to Prevent and Address Gender-Based Violence is laying the foundation for greater federal action to end violence.
Explore how the government is advancing gender equality in six priority areas.
Learn about the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (UNCSW), a commission of the United Nations Economic and Social Council and the principal global policy-making body dedicated to gender equality and the advancement of women.
Learn more about the various initiatives created to address the inequalities facing Indigenous women and girls.
Find out who is part of the Youth Working Group on Gender Equality and how these passionate and engaged young people will work to advance gender equality in Canada.
Find out how mentorship and championing is an effective tool for supporting a woman’s career development, regardless of the field she has chosen.
What we are doing
- The Competitive Advantage: A Business Case for Hiring Women in the Skilled Trades and Technical Professions
- Federal Provincial-Territorial Status of Women Forum - Sexual Violence Knowledge Exchange
- Promising Practices: Healthy Relationships and Dating Violence Prevention Programs in Canadian Schools
Research and statistics
- Women in Canada: A gender-based statistical report, 7th edition
- Women in Canada at a Glance: Statistical Highlights 2012
- Women in Canada 2010-2011 - A Gender-based Statistical Report
- Date modified: