This content is archived because Status of Women Canada no longer exists. Please visit the Women and Gender Equality Canada.
Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Benefits of Championing and Mentoring
Having the support of a champion can help a woman move her career to the next level, whether she’s in business, the non-profit sector, or government.
- By mentoring her, you can help your mentee see the potential of her ideas, recognize the abilities she already has, and identify a path to success.
- By championing her, you can actively influence your mentee’s career by introducing her to your networks or contacts, or by putting her name forward for consideration when opportunities arise.
In business, mentorship is consistently identified by women entrepreneurs as one of the most valued types of support, even more so than financial support. Research shows that 88% of entrepreneurs with mentors survive in business, compared to a 50% failure rate for those without a mentor or champion.
That is why the Government of Canada committed to increase mentoring for women entrepreneurs in Economic Action Plan 2014. This is based on the recognition that everyone benefits when women succeed in business.
Although we often focus on the benefits to the individual receiving career support and advice, a successful championing or mentorship relationship will be a win-win for both parties. As a champion, you can experience success all over again by seeing another person achieve their goals. What’s more, by mentoring someone, you can learn something from your mentee’s experiences.
Benefits for Champions
- Find a valuable outlet to apply your lessons-learned and give back.
- Gain satisfaction from sharing your knowledge and wisdom with a woman eager to learn and grow.
- Get fresh perspectives on your own business or career.
- Enhance your communication skills.
- Experience the fulfilment of seeing the person you champion or mentor succeed.
- Contribute to the advancement of women in Canada’s economy.
Benefits for Mentees
- Gain valuable advice and guidance from someone with solid business experience.
- Get motivated and inspired by a champion or mentor who listens to you and can cheer you on.
- Keep focused on your goals.
- Improve your decision-making and problem-solving abilities.
- Increase your confidence.
- Develop your communication skills.
- Get introductions to valuable connections and resources.
- Learn practical tips for balancing your work and personal life.
- Take your business to new heights!
- Date modified: